Director, Internal Audit
1 Full-Time Permanent Position
ABOUT ALBERTA CENTRAL
Recognized as one of Alberta’s top employers in 2022, Alberta Central is the central banking facility, service bureau, and trade association for Alberta’s credit unions. Through innovative products and services, thought leadership, and advocacy, Alberta Central advances the collective voice of the credit union system and works to increase awareness of “the credit union difference”.
The organization is owned by 14 credit unions that together have more than $29 billion in system assets and serve more than 610,000 members at 196 branches across Alberta.
Reporting to the Chief Financial & Governance Officer, the Director, Internal Audit leads Alberta Central’s internal audit function and is responsible for the strategic development and implementation of risk-based audit plans for the organization. A strong communicator and relationship builder, the Director, Internal Audit provides independent and objective assurance and insight to enhance and protect value and improve Alberta Central’s operations. In addition, the Director, Internal Audit indirectly reports to the Audit, Finance & Risk Committee for functional purposes, developing an internal audit plan that is responsive to emerging risks and Alberta Central’s board-approved risk appetite.
- Maintains in-depth understanding of Alberta Central’s three-year strategic plan and related risk profiles to set and prioritize the strategic direction of the Internal Audit function.
- Develop, for approval by the Audit, Finance & Risk Committee, long-term and annual audit plans using a risk-based model to guide the strategic activities of the internal audit function. This includes developing an internal audit plan that is responsive to emerging risks and Alberta Central’s board approved risk appetite.
- Applies a risk lens when developing and executing the audit plan.
- Utilize Alberta Central’s enterprise risk management program and other key oversight functions to inform and support the development of the risk based internal audit plan.
- Build and maintain strong cross-functional working relationship with leaders and external auditors, ensuring alignment and coordination of assurance activities.
- Work closely with the Audit, Finance & Risk Committee for approval of internal audit plan, internal audit findings, reporting, and overall direction of the internal audit function.
- Active participation in executive management meetings and/or committees to ensure that Internal Audit is well-informed of key business developments.
- Manage completion of internal audit engagements, including testing the design and operating effectiveness of internal controls in select areas.
- Prepare and present a quarterly report to management and the Audit, Finance & Risk Committee on the results of the audit work and other material issues to help manage risk at Alberta Central.
- Manage outsourcing of special audit functions not resourced by Alberta Central employees.
- Evaluate Alberta Central’s system of internal control, including computer-based controls and data security procedures.
- Provide training, when appropriate, to the members of the Audit, Finance & Risk Committee on the topics of risk and control and inform the committee of emerging risks.
- Perform a leadership role in the prevention and detection of fraud within the organization.
- Build and maintain beneficial relationships with the external and regulatory auditors.
- Coordinate internal audit work with Alberta Central’s external auditor to support external audit requirements.
- Monitor changes in financial control practices for the financial services industry and provide recommendations for change as needed.
- Develop and manage budgets within area of responsibility.
- Maintain the independence of the internal audit function from management; report annually to the Audit, Finance & Rick Committee regarding compliance.
- Develop internal and external audit policies, procedures and standards and ensure standards are observed, measured and reported on.
- Advance the knowledge of risk, control, and assurance in the organization through mentorship, job shadowing, and other developmental opportunities as appropriate.
- 10+ years of relevant experience; previous financial services industry experience preferred
- Strong communication skills; previous experience with Audit, Finance & Risk Committee (or equivalent) preferred
- Able to apply a risk-based lens while developing, modifying, and executing internal audit plan
- Strategic and tactical – able to maintain a high-level view of the organization from an internal audit lens while executing against deliverables
- Ability to work well under pressure in a fast-paced collaborative and team-oriented work environment
- Strong organizational, prioritization and problem-solving skills; positive leadership mindset
- Excellent relationship management skills, including ability to manage relationships internal and external to Alberta Central
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Related university degree or combination of formal education and experience
- Professional designation required; CPA or CIA preferred
BENEFITS OF WORKING AT OUR ORGANIZATION
- 2022 Alberta’s Top 75 Employer
- Competitive compensation
- Open concept environment
- Hybrid Office-Home/Work Location
- Friendly team atmosphere
- Free banking services and free access to an in-house fitness facility
- Located in the Beltline
- Casual dress environment; fast-paced and open door culture
To express your interest in this position, apply here with your current resume along with a cover letter.