ABCU Credit Union is now hiring an Assistant Controller for a remote/hybrid position.
An exciting opportunity exists, for an experienced Assistant Controller to join our team. ABCU is a full-service open bond Credit Union with funds under administration of $465 million and a staff of 35. At ABCU Credit Union Ltd. (ABCU) our culture is based on our passion to be financial professionals dedicated to doing what is right for our credit union and our members.
The Assistant Controller is a key member of the Finance team.
The responsibilities include:
- Preparation of Balance Sheet, Income Statement, Statement of Change in Equity, and credit union-specific statements as required by the Credit Union Deposit Guarantee Corporation (CUDGC)
- Perform timely and accurate routine and non-routine accounting transactions in accordance with GAAP
- Effectively maintains all financial records
- Oversees the accounts’ payable function, ensuring vendor information is accurate, payments are made on time and are accurately recorded
- Maintain and create reconciliations as required
- Administer the dormant account workflow
- Perform ad-hoc analysis for the Finance department as required
- Make routine investments with Credit Union Central of Alberta (CUCA)
- Ensure ABCU maintains statutory deposits and meets the statutory deposit requirements as established by ABCU’s regulators
- Support the year-end audit function in conjunction with the Manager of Finance
- Support the annual budget function in conjunction with the Manager of Finance
- Oversees the banking system year-end function and all associated reports
- Manage ABCU’s CRA obligations and ensure tax is remitted accurately and on time
- Amend and produce CRA tax slips as required
- Prepare common share dividend forecasts annually
- Oversee the reconciliation of ABCU’s current accounts
- Assess and provide recommendations to improve the finance department control environment and improve efficiencies
- Act as a backup for the Manager, Finance
Further, the incumbent is responsible to develop and administer accounting policies and procedures and assist in managing external relationships with third parties.
- CPA Accounting designation (CMA/CGA/CA) or working towards
- Four to six years’ relevant financial/accounting experience
- Extensive knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and IFRS
- Ability to work with a high level of detail/accuracy
- Mastery of common Software Programs (MS Office Suite, ProfitStar)
Interested candidates please provide a cover letter, salary expectations and resume to:
Cindy Bennett, ABCU Credit Union: General@abcu.ca
ABCU Credit Union thanks all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Closing date: This position will remain vacant until a suitable candidate is identified.