Bow Valley Credit Union is now hiring a full-time Compliance Specialist to join the team in Cochrane, Alberta.
This team navigates through a fast-paced environment and knows how to switch gears to adapt to any scenario to provide internal support to our branches.
Reporting to the Vice President, IT & Banking Operations, the successful candidate will be excited to work in a collaborative environment with a strong focus on reporting, auditing, and supporting process improvement at the branch level through training and monitoring. This role is focused on compliance while also assisting the System Support team.
What You’ll be Doing:
- Conducts legal and regulatory research and identifies compliance obligations, tracks and risk assesses new and emerging laws, rules, regulations, and prescribed practices including all FINTRAC, FATCA, CRS, PIPA, and CASL requirements as well as all compliance reporting (large cash, large wires, suspicious transactions, privacy, as well as executive/board reports)
- Liaises with the branches to ensure privacy and compliance obligations, risks, processes, and controls are reported and monitored as required.
- Delivers effective advice on regulatory compliance requirements to branches and provides guidance in establishing day to day regulatory compliance controls, including developing and maintaining ongoing training for compliance and privacy
- Conducts risk analysis, compliance reviews and investigations, tests the effectiveness of compliance controls, identifies gaps, works with branches to develop remediation plans, and follows through to resolution and escalate when appropriate.
- Prepares compliance metrics, key risk indicators, and reporting.
- Supports the development of policies and standards and works with branches to implement changes to policies, processes, and procedures as appropriate.
- Undertakes reviews, audits, and prepares materials in support of required regulatory reporting and in response to regulatory inquiries, examinations, and investigations.
- Helps others by answering questions and responding to requests.
- Promotes a risk-aware culture within BVCU.
Keys for Success:
- Strategic, organized, inquisitive, innovative problem solver with the ability to perceive, understand and interpret facts quickly and precisely with sound judgment
- Ability to learn, adapt, and remain resilient in a dynamic regulatory and business environment
- Strong project management skills with a proven track record of success with regulatory compliance and research
- Strong team, interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to work effectively both independently and as a team member
- Strong organization and time management skills and the ability to meet short deadlines and prioritize work
- Diplomacy as a necessary soft skill (able to explain in layman’s terms the nature of a problem, offer a correction plan, invite stakeholders to provide solutions and then monitor for remediation.)
Who We’re Looking For:
- Minimum or a combined 5 years’ experience in a risk, compliance, or audit setting in a financial institution, established securities dealer or regulatory agency
- CIPP/C designation through IAPP and CAMS designation through ACAMS an asset or willingness to obtain designations
- High level knowledge of regulations, industry standards and best practices applicable to financial institutions
- Comfortable being in an office setting, with extended computer use
- Bondable (a criminal and credit record check will be required)
- Legally authorized to work in Canada on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
Bow Valley Credit Union
BVCU is strongly rooted in the communities we serve. Serving the communities of Banff, Canmore, Cochrane, Airdrie, and Calgary, BVCU has built its considerable success by delivering exceptional service and products to our members. We take great pride in the communities where we live and work, we and are committed to helping them thrive. Our members are at the centre of everything we do, and our vision, purpose, and values reflect our commitment to our members and our communities.
Total compensation for this role includes Flex Days, vacation time, RRSP matching, and benefits, including a Health Spending Account.
At BVCU, we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, and all other characteristic protected by law. We believe that diversity and inclusion is critical to our success, and we seek to recruit, develop, and retain our talent from a diverse candidate pool. The credit union reserves the right to change job accountabilities and responsibilities as business needs dictate.
BVCU thanks you for your application, but we will only be contacting successful applicants.