1st Choice Savings and Credit Union is now hiring a Credit Risk and Adjudication Manager based in Lethbridge, AB.
As the key banking alternative in Southern Alberta, 1st Choice Savings serves approximately 18,000 members through a network of 6 branch locations. 1st Choice Savings is a financially strong Credit Union with assets under administration exceeding $900 million and is poised for continued growth. The organization follows a corporate purpose and guiding principles where the ultimate goal is putting the member first, above all else.
The Position – Credit Risk and Adjudication Manager
The Credit Risk and Adjudication Manager is responsible for credit risk management by interpreting lending policies and procedures, analyzing potential risks to 1st Choice, and recommending alternate lending solutions. This senior leader role will provide direction, oversight, coaching, and credit adjudication for the retail and commercial/agriculture lending business. We are looking for an individual who is both passionate and forward thinking. Someone who can acquire strong organizational awareness quickly as well as confidently influence and challenge others in advancement of strategic thoughts and actions. Experience in leading and developing top talent by building high performing and engaged teams is considered an asset. The Credit Manager will possess sound judgment, proven decision-making skills, and high-level risk analysis capabilities. This key leadership role will ensure risk appetite and our credit policy are correctly interpreted and adhered to while the overall portfolio is managed within established guidelines.
- Risk Management
- Regularly monitor credit applications; be accountable for the appropriate mitigation of currently elevated or anticipated risks.
- Continuously review policies, standards, protocols and procedures, risk appetites and risk metrics to ensure adjudication is completed in accordance with such policies and standards where industry movements are well understood in the context of 1st Choice’s risk appetite.
- Act as one of the senior individuals responsible within the Second line of defense framework for prudent underwriting and adjudication through measuring, monitoring, and reporting 1st Choice Savings risk exposures.
- Monitor the credit applications through oversight and provide feedback to the Executive Management and Branch Management teams as warranted, and escalate to address areas where metrics are of concern.
- Monitor and take action to close on Internal Audit findings.
- Evaluate credit applications from lending units and approve/decline applications within delegated lending limits and/or make recommendations to 1st Choice Savings Credit Committee.
- Assist branches through discussions/memoranda on credit related matters and action plans, including dealing with loans in the Watch List categories.
- Manage risks within the standards of sound business practice and comply with the legal and regulatory requirements while supporting the credit union’s Enterprise Risk Management by reporting key risk indicators and communicating emerging trends.
- Act as an industry level subject matter expert for the organization within designated industries/sectors with adjudication of largest exposures to ensure disciplined company-wide approach where required. Provide key market knowledge as it relates to credit and standard structure considerations within those industries.
- Assist in preparation of quarterly reports on the portfolio composition and prepare insightful commentary on the Second line’s perspective on credit risk management for inclusion in reporting.
- You will participate in the credit unions strategic organizational direction.
Education and Experience
- A Bachelors Degree in commerce, finance, or accounting subject areas.
- 5 – 7 years experience in a leadership role and overall, 15 years experience is expected; experience supporting the development and execution of corporate strategy, as well leading credit risk and adjudication efforts is preferred; previous financial institution
experience within a leadership capacity is required.
- A combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Highly developed understanding of industry regulations, standards, and best practices
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing.
- High level of moral judgment for handling financial transactions.
- High flexibility with strong interpersonal skills that allow one to work effectively in a diverse environment and promote the credit union vision.
- Ability to deal with people sensitively, tactfully, diplomatically, and professionally at all times.
- Ability to prioritize and manage conflicting demands.
- Ability to work individually as well as part of a team.
- An innovative and creative mindset that will challenge conventional processes to improvemember service, and adapt to a changing environment of member needs.
For further information on this opportunity or to submit and resume and cover letter, please contact:
Lily Harms, Associate People Development
(403)320-4600 / Lharms@1stchoicesavings.ca