connectFirst Credit Union is now hiring a Data Architect based out of Calgary, AB.
About connectFirst Credit Union
As a credit union, we’re different than a bank – and we like it that way.
At connectFirst, we spend our days helping our members achieve their financial aspirations through a community-focused approach to banking that’s true to our co-operative principles. You’re our member, not a number. We’re your neighbours and your partner. Over 80 years ago we started from humble beginnings. Through the years, we’ve grown to become one of Alberta’s leading financial institutions through a desire to connect the dots between your dreams, your goals, your community, and your financial wellness and we echo these desires through our new, consolidated connectFirst brand.
We believe that banking is about more than money – it’s a cornerstone of every vibrant community and that our members should expect us to positively impact the financial success and viability of the communities that we call home. We invest meaningfully in the potential and well-being of our employees, and what matters most to our members. We have honest conversations about real things, as real people. Our members are owners, they have a say in how we operate, they earn dividends on common shares and investment shares, and they have access to an extensive array of financial products and services.
- Our mission: Make money make a difference.
- Our vision: Do what’s right for every member.
- Our values: Think big, act local, take charge, and make it easy.
We’re committed to providing remarkable experiences to our members, our communities, and our employees, and we’re proud to be regarded as one of the best:
- Named among Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures™ by Waterstone Human Capital
- Recipient of Canada’s Best Managed Companies award for 21 consecutive years
- $12.3 billion book of business (Deposits=45%, Loans=43%, Wealth Management=10%, Syndicated Loans=2%)
- 750 employees
As one of connectFirst’s Data Architects, you will be:
- Formulating informational designs, models, and templates for development.
- Developing and overseeing the implementation of robust and efficient architectures.
- Evaluating performance of architectures through analysis, research, and performance metrics.
- Working with and mentoring other members of the team (and across the organization?) on usability, with a keen eye to smart, simple, and helpful.
- Developing and educating on the use of metadata driven schema design.
- Developing standards for data analytic approaches and understanding on architecture frameworks.
- Demonstrating your growth mindset with a strong organizational change focus.
You REALLY, REALLY love data! I mean, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY love data. You are constantly thinking about new ways to move data into structures. You believe data is the most valuable commodity and when we turn it into information it becomes truly valuable. You love planning, educating, and strategizing as much as you love being hands on and ensuring data is flowing properly. If you genuinely believe in making fact-based decisions, fast, then you may well be our first ever Data Architect!
More About Your Day-to-Day:
When it comes to strategy, prioritization, and education:
- You have a knack to seamlessly translate the very technical data world into easy-to-understand business language, all while being passionate about advancing the understanding of the business in data analytics and understanding the adoption is balancing people, process, and technology.
- You are keenly aware of the major developments in the data analytics vendor ecosystem, with an eye to cost-effective ways of enhancing and planning for our path forward.
- You thrive on having hard fact-based conversations with business teams to prioritize efforts in a resource constrained environment, while also ensuring business benefits are fully realized; the work isn’t worth it without that sense of pride of providing business benefit.
- You have an expert understanding of data protection / privacy requirements in Canada and within the Financial Services industry.
Day-to-day product delivery (project and ongoing maintenance):
- You are a true problem solver at heart. Whether it is figuring out the best strategy for the next ELT and or major data transformation step. Or it is figuring out how to stream, in near real time, transactional data into the data analytics environment.
- You love building data models and are thrilled when you can recommend dynamic adaptation through data abstraction. In today’s world of abundance high performance cloud computing, you know that physically storing copies of data may not be necessary anymore.
- You still love looking into bug reports and understanding root cause to avoid repeated incidents.
- Given your exceptional focus on the performance metrics of the team, you are a big believer in Process Observability. Metadata, monitoring, and logging are cornerstones to successful delivery.
- You are frugal, but you always pride yourself on finding interesting ways to deliver solutions in a very cost-effective way. You love to understand the costs of data analytics consumption in cloud computing environments.
- You love to debate on what the “non-happy” path for data is and try to avoid those situations from occurring. Said differently, error handling is a passion and needs to be thoughtfully implemented up front.
- You are an expert on implementing advanced data governance techniques. Everything from row-level and column-level security to dynamic data masking based on profiles.
- While you love big data and analytics over large volumes of data. You also understand the value that APIs and event-driven architectures bring to data integration opportunities at a transactional level. You love the challenge of orchestrating those APIs to deliver a resilient solution.
- You appreciate the elegancy of the DataOps mindset. You are a big supporter of Continuous Integration / Continuous Integration (CI/CD) and design solutions accordingly.
A focus on mentoring colleagues and business users:
- You love being on the edge between being a hands-on solving problems and taking advantage of new opportunities, while also ensuring you are mentoring the team to be able to deliver. You love the satisfaction of seeing your colleagues be successful because of your mentorship.
- You are very skilled at developing communications and micro-learning opportunities to bring the overall awareness and maturity of data analytics to the organization.
What You’ll Bring to the Role
- 8+ years in a complex data analytics environment with preference to those with financial services experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computing Engineering, Management Information Services or equivalent experience.
- Prosci or Certified Change Management Professional (CCMP) certification(s) or a desire to acquire it is strongly preferred.
- Expert in Knowledge of SQL– strong preference to a focus in ANSI compliant T-SQL
- Expert in data pipeline techniques and tooling (I.e., MS Azure Data Factory, Google Dataproc, Informatica, etc.). Strong preference to the MS Azure Data pipeline tools.
- Very experienced in cloud-based data analytics platforms (I.e. MS Azure Synapse, Google BigQuery etc.). Strong preference to MS Azure.
- You love working in an adaptable environment using Agile methodologies. You are comfortable using SCRUM / Kanban
- You are very curious with machine learning concepts and have, at least, dabbled in concepts.
- You have a broad understanding on architecture frameworks like TOGAF and are aware of the Banking Industry Architecture Network (BIAN) framework.
- An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience may be considered.
Additional Skills That’ll Support Your Success
- Excellent communication and presentation skills; both written and verbal.
- Excellent critical thinking, analytical and problem-solving skills with ability to analyze data and present recommendations based on insights and research.
- Excellent organizational, multi-tasking, and time-management skills.
- Excellent attention to detail, accuracy and thoroughness.
- Comfortable in a team-oriented, dynamic, and fast-paced technology environment.
- Passion for maximizing value and efficiency using innovative methods and technologies.
- Excellent relationship management skills in order to interact with cross functional teams, external partners, and varying stakeholders.
Qualified applicants are invited to apply online.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Please note applications will only be accepted online and only those applicants under consideration will be contacted.
For more information on Connect First Credit Union Careers, please visit https://www.ConnectFirstCU.com/Careers