The Credit Union Deposit Guarantee Corporation is hiring a Manager, Regulatory Practices in Edmonton, Alberta.
The Credit Union Deposit Guarantee Corporation is a not-for-profit public agency of the Government of Alberta that guarantees deposits and provides risk-based regulatory oversight to enable a safe and sound credit union system in Alberta. Our primary roles include:
- Providing a 100% guarantee of deposits held with Alberta credit unions
- Regulating credit unions and enforcing the Credit Union Act
- Revising, advising and directing credit unions on sound business practices
- Monitoring credit union performance and implementing appropriate actions to improve performance and reduce risks
- Establishing individual credit union loan approval limits and providing an appropriate adjudication process for loans that exceed these limits
The Manager, Regulatory Practices, reports to the Assistant Vice President, Planning, Analytics & Regulatory Practices and is responsible for scanning the financial sector environment towards the identification, development, and communication of financial sector regulatory practices and prevention initiatives. A key function of the position is as a resource to update and maintain the Corporation’s prudential regulatory framework which address all financial and non-financial risks within the Alberta credit union system. The position requires interaction with internal and external stakeholders through written communications and in person to gather requirements regarding guidance, model policies, standards etc. This is an excellent opportunity to pursue a career in financial services regulation and be a part of the credit union system.
- Lead and coordinate the development, maintenance and communication of the Corporation’s communications to credit unions including the standards of sound business and financial practices, the issuance of guidance, guidelines, model policies, discussion papers etc.
- Monitor the regulatory environment including legislation, regulations, guidelines, directives, etc. from other jurisdictions (provincial, national, global) to identify opportunities and make recommendations to enhance or use to leverage our programs.
- Develop, update, and maintain the Corporation’s regulatory framework (including processes, risk assessment and rating guidelines, models, and tools such as the Risk Matrix and business intelligence applications) to be used by employees in their role of monitoring credit unions.
- Update existing and develop new conceptual models and tools, including roll-out, user training and documentation, to be used by the regulation & risk assessment team to monitor credit union risks.
- Maintain documentation of internal processes for regulation and risk assessment for off-site monitoring and on-site verification of the credit unions.
- Standardize consistency and professionalism of communication to the credit union system.
- Minimal travel 4-5 times per year may be required.
- 3 years of job related experience in a financial services, public policy, or regulatory environment or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Financial institution experience in one or more of the following areas is required – Credit Portfolio Risk, IT/Cyber Risk Governance frameworks and risk modelling. In addition, experience working on market risk including asset liability management, operational risk, treasury management and financial institution strategy & risk are assets.
- Knowledge of and ability to research and interpret policy, legislation, and regulation is an asset.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or an equivalent combination of education and 4+ years financial sector experience. Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA), Financial Risk Manager (FRM), or Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), designation(s) is an asset.
- Strong communication (e.g. verbal, active listening, technical writing), presentation, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills are required.
- Advanced technical writing including policy development is required.
- Ability to develop complex financial models is an asset
COMPENSATION / OTHER BENEFITS
- Commensurate with qualifications and experience
- Comprehensive benefits program and professional development opportunities
- Commitment to work/life balance
- Excellent downtown Edmonton office (remote work until further notice)
CLOSING DATE: until filled
We will provide reasonable accommodation at any time throughout the hiring process for applicants with disabilities or for those needing job postings in an alternate format. We are an equal opportunity employer committed to an inclusive and accessible recruitment and selection process.
If you are interested in applying for this position, we invite you to send us your résumé and cover letter in strict confidence. We thank all applicants for their interest as only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
SUBMIT RESUME TO:
Credit Union Deposit Guarantee Corporation, Attention: Human Resources