connectFirst Credit Union is hiring a Senior Account Manager, Special Loans in Calgary, Alberta.
If you’re passionate about your community, adore making an impact, thrive in a fast-paced environment and want to make a difference, then we’re looking for you! When you join our team, you’re joining an organization with deep roots, big ideas, and a commitment to doing what’s right. We work as one connected team, and value thinking big, acting local, taking charge, and making things easy.
We look for people who:
- Share our values
- Enjoy having honest conversations, about real things, as real people
- Believe that creating great experiences is totally within their control
- Build positive relationships and an understanding of what people’s needs are
- See solutions and possibilities (not problems!)
- Are simply outstanding at what they do
- Collaborates with Special Loans Analysts to manage early delinquency process across IB, AG & Commercial lines of businesses in line with the special loans procedures by proactively working with Relationship/Account Managers, Advisors as well as Branch Managers to regularize accounts.
- Provide account monitoring and oversight to proactively limit delinquency and mitigate the deterioration, distress and eventual default of Member accounts not yet transferred to special loans portfolio but identified/flagged by the Lines of Business and/or Commercial Credit Managers as displaying operational as well as repayment challenges and deficiencies.
- Engage Members to establish preliminary connection following the transfer of their delinquent, deteriorating, distressed and/or defaulted accounts to the special loan portfolio.
- Understand the facts and analyze the challenges relating to delinquent, deteriorating, distressed and defaulted loan accounts by reviewing the Member’s files and related loan documentations/information to provide summary file status report to the Manager Special Loans and Collections following transfer of the file to the special loans portfolio.
- Propose the special loans account management strategy for each file in the portfolio in compliance with internal credit policies, legal parameters and regulatory guidelines and secure necessary Risk and Credit Leadership approval to execute the strategy for the outlined objective.
- Actively work with Borrowers towards achieving the approved special loans account management strategy for the account(s) in compliance with internal credit policies, legal parameters and regulatory guidelines.
- Where file is profiled for realization through rehabilitation – complete reviews/renewals/restructuring, present and/or approve the review/renewal/restructuring recommendations within assigned limits and authorities based on the Manager Special Loans and Collection’s concurrence.
- Where file is profiled for realization through enforcement – complete the necessary brief letter, secure Manager, Special Loans and Collections sign-off and share same along with all supporting documents to nominated Counsel to initiate enforcement procedures. Note that this may expand to include engaging, collaborating with and providing strategic guidance to other Professional Service Providers in line with the Bankruptcy and Insolvency procedure achieve the Credit Union’s strategic objective for the account.
- Where file is profiled for Write-Off – process write-off recommendations in line with policy and procedures for approval.
- Monitors the Credit Union’s loan portfolio and provide accurate, timely reporting i.e. Delinquencies, Caution Risk, Watchlist, Provisions Write-offs and Recoveries and recommendations to Management through the Risk and Credit Services Leadership on key loan metrics as par policy and regulatory requirements.
- Collaborates with Special Loans Analysts and internal stake holders to ensure that all business operations activities to facilitate special loans account management and external stakeholder commitments are promptly and efficiently executed and recorded.
- Identify special loans risk management operation deficiencies and contributes to the development, implementation, and maintenance of policies, processes, initiatives and programs to manage the deficiencies within the Credit Union and in line with CUDGC guidelines.
- Establishes and consistently builds collaborative working relationships with internal & external stakeholders/partners/service providers including but not limited to Solicitors, Insolvency Consultants, Realtors, Brokers, Auction Houses, Bailiff to manage loan portfolio risks.
- Liaise with Regulators and Auditors (Internal & External) regarding the overall performance of the special loans portfolio as may be required and assigned by the Manager Special Loans and Collections,
- Provide support to the Commercial Credit Team by:
- Reviewing a suitable sampling of loans applications to determine adequacy of underwriting and to ensure potential credit weaknesses are recognized and resolved.
- Adjudicate assigned credit applications for prompt recommendation and decisioning within assigned limits/authorities and in adherence to policies and procedures, and regulations.
- Contributes and collaborates in the development and enhancement of credit practice, policies and procedure, thresholds, and decision-making protocol related to the approval of credit within the Credit Union.
- Represents the organization within the community and amongst select networking groups.
- Remain current on market data, trends best practices, legislations, regulations, policies and procedures; highlighting impact and applicability to the Teams operations, objectives, deliverables and portfolio.
- Ensures compliance with Connect First Credit Union & CUDGC policies and guidelines.
- Establishes, manages, and maintains awareness of the organization in local community and among professional networking groups.
- Assists in the overall management and monitoring of commercial credit risk exposure, ensuring compliance within the organization and CUDGC policies and guidelines
Experience and/or Educational Requirements:
- Minimum 8 years commercial banking experience with strong commercial credit and lending process/analysis and demonstrated knowledge of agricultural operations.
- A 4-year minimum retail/commercial collections experience is considered a critical asset.
- Completed a relevant certificate, diploma, degree, or designation program.
- Knowledge of relevant legislation and regulation relating to credit and collections environment. Specifically, relevant sections of the Credit Union Act and other applicable legislation, Credit Union Deposit Guarantee Corporation policies and direction, Connect First policies and lending procedures, lending authorities and limits.
- Demonstrate understanding of key Government of Canada financing initiatives to support small businesses and agriculture ( CSBFA, CALA etc.).
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may also be considered.
Skills and Competencies:
- Member focused, acting as a trusted advisor and able to balance Member needs based on strong empathy with the objectives of the Credit Union.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, able to relate well with diverse personalities and quickly build relationships.
- Excellent critical thinking, analytical with demonstrated problem solving capacity through the application of policies, procedures, experience, and sound judgment.
- Mental toughness with demonstrated knowledge of collections/enforcement procedures and ability to effectively negotiate and reach a satisfactory financial conclusion with limited handholding.
- Organized, pays great attention to details, possessing great record keeping and multi-tasking skills.
- Excellent computer skills with Microsoft Office suite knowledge and willingness to learn other programs.
- Excellent communication skills; both written and verbal – report writing is critical.
Qualified applicants are invited to apply online here.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Please note applications will only be accepted online and only those applicants under consideration will be contacted.
For more information on Connect First Credit Union Careers, please visit: